Monday, March 29, 2010

DIY Corrugated Metal Headboard

I recently posted our bedroom on HGTV's Rate my Space. It hasn't gotten very good reviews, currently I am at 2.3 stars out of 5! Booooo! see here: HGTV. For those of you that did like our room, here is how we made our headboard.

First I measured the size I thought would be best for our bed. Then in Illustrator I created a document that size (60" x 36") Then I drew, and re-drew, then re-drew again... until I got a shape I liked. Then I printed my document with page tiling on (32 sheets of paper!) Once it was printed I taped just the sheets that had my headboard outline on them together. Download Headboard PDF here.

Then I laid that out on my metal to make sure the grooves lined up just right.

I then cut out my pattern completely and taped it down. Once that was done I outlined my pattern with a sharpie, then took my pattern off {make sure you have the side you want showing facing down so your sharpie marks are hidden on the wall in case they happen to not get cut off}

Then it was time to cut, 1 sheet at a time. We first tried using snips. That was way to hard so then we went at it with a jig saw. I held down the sheet and Adam sawed, it was the noisiest thing ever! Wear goggles and earplugs!
YEAH!
Then it was puting it up. What we did was screw two boards on the wall first, then we took the middle section and nailed it to the board, making sure it was exactly where we wanted it. We then continued to put up the other 3 sheets. {We bought 2 complete sheets at Home Depot, then cut them in half creating our 4 sections we worked with} The grooves lined up really nice so we only had to use a few nails to hold the sheets together.
Almost forgot to cut a spot for the outlet!
Well that's it. Cutting it out was the hardest part, other than that it was pretty simple and pretty cheap! About $23! We love it, and that's all that matters :-)


9 comments:

  1. That is awesome guys!! This is one of my favorite projects you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We love it too! I think our room might be my favorite now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to steal this idea, where did you get the sheet metal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What did you do to dull the edges that you cut?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely doing this for my room!!! Such a unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing. Would you mind emailing me the pdf? I dont want to pay for Scribd. Thanks

    aprilzhouse@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never seen such a metal headboard idea. You are so creative. I must admit that this looks very good, even though not really on my taste. I mean, I like romantic headboards like wrought iron ones. Anyway, congrats for this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. corrugated plastic sheets 4x8

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...